Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ready for take-off (sort-of.)

I am leaving for Africa today... I've been looking forward to this trip for the last six months, at least. Actually, in a bizarre kind of way, I feel as though for the last six months, everything in my life has been leading up to this trip. And now that I've been vaccinated for more diseases than I can even imagine, now that I have a boarding pass printed off, now that I have a Ugandan Visa in my passport, I think I'm having a bit of a panic attack.

What was before pure excitement, is all of a sudden a big case of the nerves. I've never gone this far from home alone. Note: I know I won't really be "alone": I know that I'll be with 12 co-workers, and 5 friends/family of co-workers, but somehow that's scary to me too. I feel as though I barely know these people. Of course, I know that we'll become closer over the course of our 12 days in Uganda. But I realize that I'm not going to be able to truly share this experience with anyone close to me. I realize I'm going to miss Mike like crazy. And all my friends. And Siris, and Senor Snuggles. And most likely, at least to a certain extent, the luxury of Western living. I took a long hot shower this morning, because who knows if that will happen while I'm over there.

I am starting to get nervous about everything - I have no idea what our accomodations will be like, what getting around will be like, what the people will be like, and the food, and how safe the city will be. Despite everything I've read about what to expect, there are still so many unknowns. I have no idea how I will react to seeing what I'm sure will be some pretty tough things to see. I wonder if I've brought enough money, enough insect repellant, enough sunscreen, enough everything.

My phone has been ringing off the hook all morning; friends are calling to say goodbye and to wish me well. Just before I catch the cab from my house to begin my journey to the airport, Mike gives me a pep talk about how stepping out of my comfort zone will be educational and exhilirating. And I know that it's going to be both, and so much more. And I'm still a bit terrified.

No comments: